Monday, March 29, 2010

Lighthouse at Cape Blanco, Oregon

                           16x20                Pastel                $290
I spent a long time crawling all around this lighthouse, looking for the perfect angle for my painting. Not finding exactly what I wanted, I settled  on a couple of possibilities and headed for my car. Sitting at the edge of the parking area emptying sand from my shoes, I happened to look up at the building. There it was, just what I envisioned: the lonely sentinel, bathed in light this sunny day.
My favorite medium is oil, but pastel is a close second. I work on sanded paper and use mostly soft pastels. Sadly, my favorite brand, Rowney, sold out and is now produced in bigger sticks. It's also lost some of it's softness. I have small hands, and really loved those small sticks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment